By

How to Start Leading and Stop Firefighting

There are days that every administrator feels like they are being pulled in so many different directions. It may even feel like you are putting out one fire after another with no end in sight. It is in our nature to want to help and to solve every problem that is brought across our desk. Indeed we may even have delusions of grandeur thinking that we are just like super man or superwoman because we are able to solve everyone’s problems and do so much in such a short period of time. Take a moment to step back and reflect on whether you are merely firefighting or truly leading.

My leadership journey as it pertains to Special Education has gotten me to ask myself the following questions:

1. How have I built the capacity of staff to provide the needed supports for their students with special needs?
  2. In what ways have I facilitated staff planning and learning together to further the success of their students with special needs?
  3. In what ways have I specifically supported best practices/ high quality instruction for students with special needs?
  4. How have I enabled co-planning, co-teaching and co-assessing that supports students with special needs?

These are crucial questions that must be foremost in our minds if we are to be an effective leader in special education.